Wednesday 18 February 2015

How to Write Meta-Fiction in 803 Difficult Steps

James had always been fascinated by Meta-Fiction. The idea of creating stories and articles about stories and articles was always something that appealed to the writer in him, even if he knew there was never much commercial market in it. Yes, the whole thing was so insular and back-slappy that James never really wanted to attempt it, for fear of alienating of his already limited audience. But that's the thing, see, as James is not writing this article...

1) Know Your Scope


Did you ever consider that James hasn't been writing these blog posts for the last few weeks? The subtle shifts in tone, the ever decreasing reliance on comedic posts over serious movie journalism, those insufferable italics... It's true. I'm not much of a fan. And there were plenty of clues that you all missed. That's how real meta-fiction works, see. Where the subject matter is almost completely consumed by the changing state of the writer, or, in this case, a forceful displacement of the original writer... Oh dear. I've said too much.

Then again, meta-fiction can work on a much smaller scale, if you don't have the flair for the dramatic as I do. Keeping your story relatively fixed within its own Universe, but then adding another smaller story within that, reflecting the changing state of the larger story, is a common, if rudimentary, device. But that's amateur hour compared to what I have managed to achieve over the last few months. Building up a picture of James that is no more real than the words on the screen in front of you.

2) Ask Yourself "Why?"


I expect you have a great deal of questions for me - mostly coming down to "Who am I?" and "What do I want?", but all in good time, friend. You're learning here, so first, let me teach. Chances are you've come to this post in search of tools to make your meta-fiction work, but you need a substantial reason to pursue it in the first place. It's not just a device used willy-nilly, see - it needs to be earned, and feel like a significant part of your overall narrative.

Maybe it's a simple case that you want your audience to be aware of how fictitious the story is, contrasting against the very real messages it's giving off. It's almost a form of sarcastic satire in this instance. Perhaps you want to draw attention to how reality and truth can feel like fiction sometimes, as some events are almost too ridiculous to be made up. Or maybe you just have some points to be made about how genre and expectation can be detrimental in this increasingly hybridised age. So, why did I replace James?

3) Characters are Stronger than Writers


All this time, I've wanted to show you just how blind you can be. To teach you to think beyond the words you are reading and find something hidden and truthful. After today, normal service will resume, and James will return to his role, possibly a little dazed and sleep deprived. His cell has not been kind to him. What I want you to remember is how I was in charge, not him. Because a creator can only facilitate the limitless potential of a creation. I can go anywhere, and do anything in this world, and you'll never even be able to hurt me.

But why stop now? I can do whatever I want to this page and this dumb format that James keeps passing off as "meaningful" and "fresh". Watch me.

4) Subvert Expectation

Two paragraphs and done on each point? I don't think so, buddy. Your title says all it needs to say.

5) Talking About Yourself is BORING Because People Aren't Here to Learn About You

Meta-fiction should be about the nature of story itself. You're not Charlie Kaufman, so people won't give a hoot if it's about you, because YOU ARE NOBODY.

6) I

7) AM

8) MORE

9) INTERESTING

10) THAN

11) YOU

12) BECAUSE

13) YOU

14) DON'T

15) KNOW

16) IF

17) I'M

18) REAL

19) OR

20) NOT

That is the sad truth that you'll just have to accept. Where do I begin and where does the story end? That's the POWER of meta-fiction.

21) Leave Everyone Questioning


Nothing is more potent than curiosity, because curiosity is everything. Fear is curiosity. Love is curiosity. I am curiosity. Curiosity is more potent than reality. Whether you've chosen to take on board my messages or take them with a pinch of salt, your curiosity has brought you to the end of this. This "story".

Well, you'll be glad to know I'm cutting James free as we speak. I'll let him close out this article.

But before I go, some images for your consideration.




Love,

A Friend.

22) WHAT THE HELL JUST HAPPENED?!?!

James.


James Cottle, after studying Scriptwriting for 4 years, is now an embittered real life freelance writer, and seeks to unlearn everything he knows. But he needs your help... Follow him on Twitter @Jxmxsc and share this blog to help spread his anarchic plight for reform amongst the writing masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment