Saturday 27 September 2014

A Free-Written Article About Why Free-Writing Is Better Than Planning

Free-writing is a creative exercise writers invented to “free their minds” once they realised that the 60s effectively got them nowhere. It involves frantically spewing words on to a page without stopping or self-censorship, and seeing what unique ideas manifest themselves. I’m about to invite you to glimpse into my unconscious mind, as I time myself for 10 minutes to try and formulate some sort of cohesive argument as to why free writing isn’t a complete waste of time. After my time is up, I’ll correct any spelling or grammatical errors so you don’t need to hire a cryptographer to decipher it...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, so, free writing. Let’s talk about you. Well, obviously first thing I should mention is that I can’t type as fast as I can think because that would be ridiculous and there would be like hundreds of documentaries about me and I wouldn’t really have to worry about writing articles like these. Anyway, I didn’t really think of any actual points coming into this argument so I’m sort of making it up as I go without stopping, which is incredibly hard. Still, this is the sort of spontaneity that you could say films and stories lack these days, as everything is planned to death before any kind of script is even started. I’m not saying that’s a bad thing, but being so over-prepared that your story basically becomes a checklist that you’re ticking off maybe just makes things a little too formulaic. Why are people afraid of stories becoming looser with their execution? Like if, say, a dragon showed up in the middle of Downtown Abbey. It’s set in the olden days so I’m surprised one hasn’t showed up yet to be honest. Maybe that was a bad example / joke, but you get my point, right? People can see twists coming a mile off these days because we’re all so used to the formulas, so just throwing in a complete curveball – something that would come of free-writing – would really make your piece stand out. The critics would probably call your alien invasion of Eastenders laughable, but it’d certainly get people talking about your work, etc. Anyway, I think I’ve made that point. Let me try and think of another. Oh man, I’m definitely stalling right now. How about a magnetised donkey with shotguns for a mouth? There we go. That was a curveball, I think. No idea what provoked that one. Damn, I thought I’d have more to say. Maybe I’ll talk a bit more about why planning sucks. Well, I suppose movies that have been planned for years, designed around the idea of intelligently discussing a topic, even if indirectly, tend to come under closer narrative scrutiny, like Inception. I know I mentioned Inception in my previous post, but think about it – there have been more plot holes found with Inception, a complex blockbuster that tackles dreams in a convoluted but entertaining way, than, say, a really simple movie, like Shrek or something. I dunno if there have been plot holes found in Shrek, in fact, I can imagine there are a bunch, but when everything is generally simpler, people tend not to focus on the narrative so much, and holy crap, I only have one minute left. Right, so, to summarise. Gosh, what were my points again? Planning over-complicates and the spontaneity of free-writing allows for some fun narrative curveballs, but I suppose, in hindsight, this article may have proven that planning does have it merits, in that little of this made sense. If we can take one thing away from it, it’s that magnetised donkeys with shotguns for mouths are quite a cool idea.


James Cottle, after studying Scriptwriting for 4 years, is now an embittered real life freelance writer, and seeks to unlearn everything he knows. But he needs your help... Follow him on Twitter @Jxmxsc and share this blog to help spread his anarchic plight for reform amongst the writing masses.

No comments:

Post a Comment